Blog My Six Top Tips To Engage Your Team And Improve Results.
A Staggering 80% of Londoners are unhappy at work. My six top tips to engage your team and improve results.
In a recent edition of the Evening Standard a survey showed that over 80% of Londoners were unhappy in their work! I am sure you would agree these figures are quite staggering. The poll, for The Best You magazine, revealed that only 17.6 per cent of men and women in the capital were content at work, with many blaming their unhappiness on bad management and bullying. The survey also found that 29 per cent of women and 25 per cent of men said they suffered from depression, with the majority of men declining to seek professional help.
Many companies feel that by simply paying their workers a good salary they should be productive, however recent research has suggested that there is a link between employee’s happiness and their productivity at work. Some companies are taking note and already reaping the rewards.
A recent study by economists at the University of Warwick found that happiness led to a 12% spike in productivity while unhappy workers proved 10% less productive. As the research team put it, “We find that human happiness has large and positive effects on productivity. Positive emotions appear to invigorate human beings.”
Financial incentives on their own are not enough to stimulate our employees to perform at the highest levels, so what can be done?
My Six top tips to engage your team and improve results:
- Challenge Limitations: Provide employees with new assignments that challenge, motivate and push them beyond their perceived limits.
- Encourage ideas:Show them that they are valued by including them on key business decisions and listening to their input.
- Catch them doing something great: People love to be respected and acknowledged when doing something well. Catch them doing something great and spare the time to show your appreciation.
- Watch what you do: Leaders and managers should look inward at their own behaviour and body language: are you transmitting and delivering a positive message and inspiring your team to reach their true potential.
- Have fun as a team: Bringing staff together for team activities, competitions and offsite social events, will foster critical relationships between employees.
- Invest in their development: Training is critical to ensure they have the skills, confidence and attitude to achieve a peak performance.
- Team Building